Friday, December 4, 2009

Korean Not-Beef BBQ, plus plus

Somebody taught me this recipe a long time ago. Back in college. I think that was Toto Labrador. I looked again in the internet if it was really a recipe for Korean BBQ. Yup, it's called Bulgogi. (If I'm mistaken, sorry.) Hmm, there are variations but the some basic ingredients are common. Thanks Toto!

Now, to twist the recipe a bit. I'm not going to use beef, I'll use pork so I can brown it without making it tough. Cut the pork in bite-size pieces and marinate it in a little soy sauce, brown sugar, chopped ginger, chopped spring onions, crushed garlic, and sesame oil. I usually add one ingredient at a time, massaging each into the meat. Makes me believe the flavor gets better that way. Haha. The sesame oil is the last. What you'll have should not be a soupy marinated pork. The marinade should just coat the meat evenly, and stick to it.
Leave it for an hour or better, a whole day and fry in a little oil, but very hot. That's it! Oops, this is one of those times that I forgot to take a photo of the cooked food.

When I made this, I made 2 more dishes to go with it. First, I cut up some leeks and spring onions and mixed them in a beaten egg/pinch of flour/salt mixture and fried it. Just make a vinegar/soy sauce mix for dip.
The next one, I chopped some cabbage, carrots and Baguio beans into small pieces and stir-fried it with a lot of garlic and onions in sesame oil, and added a little salt and sugar.That's it!

November 9, 2009