Friday, December 4, 2009

Sathan's BBQ Ribs

I was in front of the kitchen counter staring at the thawed pork ribs, 7pm. After a few more red water dripped from the side of the ribs, I thought "Whatever. Just as long as I make this easy." I grabbed whatever sauce and seasoning we had and just baked. Luckily, it turned out fine. Just had to do a little "retouching" and a little cheat :-)

Here's what I did: From staring at the pork ribs for quite some, I guessed it was about more than a kilo. So I thought about less than a cup of total sauce would be enough to flavor it. 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce, 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 3 tbsps of tomato catsup, 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper, 2 tbsps of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsps of olive oil and a teaspoonful of hot sauce. Mixed them all together and slobbered it all over the ribs. (Hey, this is the "balanced" flavor I thought was right, ok? You can always do your own proportions.)

I set the ribs on a foil-lined tray, covered with another sheet of foil and baked at 180˚C for an hour. (Next time, I'll bake it longer.)

I thought that was it but when I pulled it out of the oven, all the juice was in the tray. So I cheated. I took the sauce and reduced it on the stove and poured it back onto the ribs. Done!November 2, 2009. (The fire photo is not mine.)