Wednesday, September 23, 2009

CucumberPandan Ice Cream

Special thanks goes out to Paolo Toledo for hating cucumber and giving me the idea to do this! Love you my friend, this is very "delightful" (yes, I just used one of my most-hated words). The ice cream's not perfect yet. It tends to have some crunchy iced cucumber, as it doesn't completely meld with the cream. I'll try to fix that next time. It's probably in the mixing process. Didn't spoil the fun though.

Popped some sliced cucumber in the blender, poured in a can of condensed milk and a small can of evaporated milk. Added a little sugar and a few drops of Pandan extract, and set it on high speed for a few seconds intermittently. Then I poured it into a large bowl where I have the chilled cream ready. Mom used an electric mixer and mixed away. While that's being done, I made a thick mix of Pandan Gulaman and cooled it down a bit and folded (hah! A cooking term I just learned!) it into the cream mix. Sorry, I'm using so many "mix". I have to learn more kitchen words. Blend? Melange? Medley? Hmm, mix is just right.

Anyway, that's it! Freeze the thing for about half a day or till the kids'patience wear out, and enjoy! Might be nice to add a few mint leaves to complete the coolness, as another friend suggested. I mean coolness literally ok? :-)

This is one of the things we had at Fontana.