Monday, September 14, 2009

RosemaryThyme Chicken and Potatoes&Basil Fried in Olive Oil

MMMm, I usually prepare this when I want the meal to look a little professional. Or pseudo-gourmet, hehe. The thing is, it's very easy to prepare. And not too expensive. Again, just use your own taste to adjust how much of each ingredient you wanna use. Sorry for the photo though. I took this on my mom's birthday in January. I wasn't thinking of blogging yet.

Get a fresh chicken, cut in half, so you'll have 2 cross-sectioned chickens. Massage a small amount of soy sauce into the meat. Sprinkle some dried rosemary and thyme. For more flavor, add a little dried basil and marjoram. Don't put too much, or the chicken's gonna taste bitter. Sometimes, if I can get fresh herbs, that's what I use.

Put some quartered onions in a baking tray and set the chicken on it. Add some freshly crushed garlic (or a lot). You can leave this in the ref for a little bit or if the room's not too hot, just cover it. Helps to let the flavors set.

Sprinkle the chicken with olive oil before putting it in the oven set at 180˚C. Cook for about an hour.

Now for the potatoes.

While preparing the chicken, Boil the small potatoes already. Add salt in the water. When it's soft, fry them in olive oil. Just use medium flame. Keep tossing around the potatoes so the skin browns all around. Stir in some crushed garlic (including the garlic skin. It adds "character") until it browns too. Before turning off the flame, get a few fresh basil leaves and toss it in until it turns soft and fragrant.

That's it. I just put them in a nice dish so it'll look more professional, haha.

When I get to cook this again, I'll replace the pic. Just trust me, it looks and tastes good.